Friday, December 30, 2005

A coolie once more, a coolie no more.

These few days I have been waking up with muscle aches. I wouldn't say the job was tough, but it was very energy consuming. I almost shifted the entire warehouse, or rather, the loads were playing a game of musical chairs. One year ago, I was dealing with cartons, one year later I am shifting cartons again. However, this time round no forklift, no stacker and no advanced technology like crane to facilitate the process, but mere human strength. I always have to get the worst share when it comes to anything. For instance, before I commenced working there, the past few weeks were mainly simple packing of goods. So when I started work, I had to shift cartons from top shelf to bottom sheft, from bottom shift to top shift, from one warehouse to another warehouse... I am just pure suay. Anyway, if not for MJ and the pretty receptionist(but 可惜... MLR), I would have walked off on the very first day itself. In addition to the tough job, low pay, far location, I would definitely walk off. However, 经一事,长一智。Indeed, I did learn something and my observation skill has upped one level. (Hahaha)
After my observations and deductions I drew the below conclusions on how to become a rich boss:
Number 1: Make sure the employees hired are value for money.
How? Install cameras in the office. Not just 1 but 4! And since the warehouse only consist of a store man, install one will do. These cameras enable you to spy on every worker with just a press of button away when you sit comfortably on the swervering chair in the office. This ensure no one dares to eat snake when you are in the office.
Flaw: when you are away for meeting, hence not staring at the CCTV, only god knows what is happening.
Bottomline: You don't gel with your employees simply because there is no mutual trust at all. If you are naive enough, then perhaps you will think , "Wow, all my workers are so hardworking, because everytime I see them working on my CCTV."
Number 2: Fully optimise the use of your manpower. (To sound good) Exploit is the word.
How? Make sure you pay your worker a below average amount of salary and get them to work for as many hours as you can and give them more work to do, even if it is unrelated to their designation. Let them be multi-tasked. Set datelines for them. For instance, if the job requires 8 hrs (You jolly well know) , tell them you must finish it withing 4 hours. Then they will start to work overtime in order to complete them job. But! Don't ever give any overtime pay. Don't award off either. Just pretend they are slow and they deserve to stay back to complete the work.
Flaw: Expect a high turn over rate for the company. Your employees will come and go like people going for window shopping.
Bottom line: There is no job satisfation. More work begets more work. Beware of the quality of work. On the surface, it looks like a job well done but when you scrutinise, good luck.
Number 3: Use some baits to make your employees stay if you are using Number 2.
How? Tell them they will get a pay rise. But pretend to forget. Procrastination is handy here. Hence, months later, they are still working with you in the hope of a higher pay. Give them a super cool designation? Go to the extent of giving them titles like associate director if you can, I mean it does not harm you, you know. Just name, no pay rise, it doesn't kill. Then you can start to give them many things to do just because given the title, there should be more responsiblities. So yeah, you are not exploiting them! It's their responsiblities! Give them end of year bonus. But make the collection of bonus in instalements. Don't give them one shot. They will leave after collecting the full bonus.
Flaw: No flaw. It always works. The worker will be on cloud 9 initially, but ultimately the worker will realise he is conned! But it's just too late.
Bottom line: You are damn 贱! The hatre of the workers grows.
Number 4: Don't ever discard any items in the warehouse. Every item is money.
How? Keep those nonsense for warehouse sales. If this year no one buys that item, don't be discouraged, keep them for the next year. Next year, no one buys, keep them again for next year. Just keep. Those you think surely no one will buy and it is cheap items give them to charity. For instance, white T shirts which have turned yellow after keeping them for umpteen years. Hey, you are doing something good.(Yeah right) But keep those beautiful ones for warehouse sales don't give charity. Those goods from 1980s still keep them, you display them out every year during warehouse sales, there surely one year you will find a keen buyer.
Flaw: Your warehouse looks more like one for a garung guni company. Those goods of yours resemble items I see downstair, at my void deck. Those boxes of items are exactly like those discarded by the residents during spring cleaning. But hey! They are money. Keep them properly in your warehouse even though they look like those discarded items at my voiddeck. You can make collecting junks as one of your company operations. Just hire some coolies during stock take and give them a small pay.
Bottom line: You are damn niaow. In fact, NJNL. Nothing to say.
Number 5: Make your employees respect you. Earn your respect.
How? Be a coolie yourself. Lay your hands on those dusty cartons, shift them and arrange them such that you impress your workers making them think,"Wow, good boss 亲力亲为. " But actually, you are just trying to cut cost. Hiring of coolies needs money too. Express your reasons to rearrange so that your workers will agree with your doing and at the same time you appear as if your have a set of good logical thinkings.
Flaw: The smart worker will be quick to think that you are doing redundancy. Because of your poor organisation skills and poor foresight, you have to shift the cartons of goods here and there. If you have planned well and get the store man to locate them at the correct place in the first place, there isn't much to shift. Hello! You are not the storeman though you are the boss. You have arranged to the way you deem right and most comfortable. But have you think of how the storeman is going to locate the goods according to the way you arranged? Everyone has his own style of arranging and organising things. You find a neat table easy to locate your stationery but I find a messy one easier for me. I could locate a pen at the same time as you. So what's with you? And you won't be the one to unload those goods but the storeman will. All you need to do is to open your mouth and say you want that carton. Hence, who cares how the storeman arranges the store, so long he can bring out the goods you need, then it's okay.
Bottom line: You are indecisive. You can't decide where to put those goods. Today you think it's best to put here, tomorrow you think that is not a good place. You think a neat warehouse is equal to a well organised warehouse. Superficial!
If you have successfully applied the five tried and tested formula in managing your company, then congratulations. You are on your way to driving a porche.
On the latter note, milky asked me would you work for a company with a nice boss but the location is far and benefits are not very attractive?
My answer: I can't answer. Because I will be the boss.