Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Champion.

Finally K finished the champion. (任我遨游)Credit: LZR for burning it for me. (He must have felt so appreciated) It's a fantastic drama which I have missed it because I was out of town when it was aired on CH8. I love watching drama relating to sports. The champion has its plus points, the babes. Haha. And I was mesmerised, once again (After the rainbow connection) by Ao Xuan. Wow, she is such a cutie-pie, so.... so... sweet. Fiona Xie is so hot. okay enough of babes.
It brought back some memories of my training days in badminton back in CSS. I had never, never felt attached to the team at all, unlike those shows which always depict the players feeling so much for their team. I would say my coach was good but he was not that nice. His coaching was effective. I could see marked improvement before and after I trained under him. However, I felt that he failed to bond us as a team. I remember, we were asked to play against each other, whether single or double, whoever the loser(s) was, he would have to be punished. In addition, his rule of thumb: No laughing in the court. You could not joke with your team mate which is your opponent. If you did, be prepared to get it from him. He would call an end to the game suddenly and throw punishments. The standard punishment comes in the form of a set of 60 push-ups, sit-ups and tug-jumps each. Hence, everyone hated to lose. Everyone wanted to be a champion. We wanted to out-do each other, and came to a point that killing each other is inevitable. That was the spirit embedded in us: Kill your fellow teamate or whoever your opponent was. I think it was quite unhealthy. Eventually, you played for yourself and not for the team, not for the school. I think it was very sad. Surprisingly, I remember when this new batch of girls joined the team, they were trained under a PE teacher who was in anyway not a professional coach but one who played badminton during his leisure time. I do not know why such an arrangement was made but indeed this was a good move. They emerged champion which neither the boys or the girls team had ever achieved under the coaching of this professional coach. (always revolved around 3rd or 4th) It was very shocking, I thought. I do not know the reasons but I felt the new batch was very close as a team.
Something is so similar to the show, coincidentally, my coach brought his son along during our trainings too. But his son was much younger. Also, dubious teamates exist in your team. Something different from the show is that, when we were asked to do physical training such as running on our own, we ran to the nearest Mcdonald, ate our breakfast and pretended to run back panting and sweating (from those sprinkling of water in Mac's toilet). Hai... I guess that was the only time we bonded as a team. Anyway, how much can you expect from a coach who fought with his opponents during one of his matches and with this incident splashed on the sports column of the Newpaper? How sad.