Monday, September 25, 2006

明知山有虎,偏向虎山行。

Yesterday, I received a call from a friend who seldom call me, seldom SMS me. However, when we bump into each other in school we can have much to catch up. Our 交情还蛮不错.He told me he had a 'business concept' to tell me and I need to go down to the east side to meet him so that he can explain to me. The word 'business concept' has immediately directed my thoughts to sales, insurance, telemarketing, pyramid selling and the equivalent. Seriously, I am not interested and somemore to meet him at the east side made me all the more didn't feel like going. However, he convinced me that it was no telemarketing and what not. I gave him the benefit of doubt simply because I regard him as my friend. I was all reluctant in my conversation with him. In the end, I decided I would turn up. I wasn't interested in his 'business concept' nor was I convinced by him, I just felt obliged to go when he told me... "If you are not interested in the business concept in the end, just treat it as you are having dinner with me lah. This sentence had such a great impact on me that I decided to turn up.

When I met up with him, he did not go right into his business concept but started off with catching up. *Gimmicks. I knew it. I was the one who prompt him to tell me his 'business concept'. Finally, he went into the topic proper, with sketches of diagrams of how you can bypass distributors and earn the money you pay to retailers and distributors, how you should start saving for your future and start your own business, how the product is going to work and how this form of selling is going to become a trend next time and how it is going to be successful. I am totally skeptical right from the beginning. I counter-argued with him that although it's true that we can earn directly from the distributor, the product it's not going to sell! Although it's a good way to earn more pocket money, I would rather earn it by tapping into other sources of income, like giving tuition. As much as I hope to start my own business, I think there are better ways to raise the capital. And most importantly, I said, "From what I see, the product is not going to sell!" I have shown my disinterest right from the beginning and I was all morbid.

In the end, we debated for an hour or so and I was still not convinced that this concept was going to work. He suggested that I should take a look at the product and that the company for that product was just nearby and I really should go down and see. (So, I really see the point of meeting him in the east side) He kept persuading me to go and I kept trying to convince him that the product will not sell. In many of his lines, he used the word "朋友". "As 朋友 I won't force you, but you should really go down and take a look. If you still don't want to buy this concept, then I'm okay with it." Despite that, I kept my stand clear and asserted,"I am not going" and "the product will not sell". Of course, we did not get into a fight or anything. He knew he could not convince me any longer and so I ended off with "I am here for dinner with you". He was really persuasive, just that I am strong-headed and skeptical about the 'business concept' right from the beginning. Hence, I conclude I am someone with a strong belief, well, at least I am not those sitting on the fence type. LOL.

明知山有虎,偏向虎山行,I am not gullible, neither am I stupid. I went all the way to the east side, after a badminton game and few laps of swimming and feeling all tired, just for the sake of nothing but 'Friendship'. I hope this friend of mine is not angry, although he claimed he isn't and I hope he doesn't feel too disappointed. Well, it's just that I am difficult to handle.

On the latter note, why the hell are all those insurance people bugging me and blocking my way everytime I step out of the W'lands MRT?! They seem to be there everyday! They are so irritating! I remember the first encounter with this insurance girl who kept bugging me for quite a distance despite me telling her that I AM NOT INTERESTED. She said something like "why are you so afraid?" What! Me afraid? Of you? Ta Ma De! I told her angrily, "I SAID I DON'T WANT MEANS I DON'T WANT!" Then she stopped pestering me like a mosquito. I believe everyone has his limit and that we have a rubber band in us. If we are being stretched to the max, that is what you get. And on some occasions, the lame ones holding some coloured straws in her hands will say,"我们来玩游戏好吗?" BLoody hell, mai boh liao lah! Or they probably went, "你要回家啊?" Fei Hua lor... I empathsize these people and I do really know it's their job. But, I AM REALLY NOT INTERESTED! WILL YOU PLS LET ME OFF!? On occasions when I am not in the right of mood, I will just shake them off with a 'du lan' look. I am sorry but I really am pissed.

I don't want to end up like these people pestering people, so right from the start, the 'business concept' has never won me over.