Thursday, January 18, 2007

Woman of times.

How do you define someone who is successful? Yes, we look at achievements but not solely on achievement. Having many many achievements do not put you in my list of successful people. In my opinion, someone who achieves something incredible as well as having positive feedbacks from everyone is successful. You do not belong to my list of successful people even though you win some nobel prize or some big shot of a big company or some high ranking officer but all the people you know tell me how shitty you are; in another word, spit smelly saliva behind you.

Just who am I talking about. I am talking about my secondary school principal, Mrs Lim. Naming her the woman of times, is unanimous. Whenever I make a new friend with an ex-TJC student of my age, upon mentioning his principal, I never fail to get exclamation like "She is very NICE"! How often do you get that when you mention a common person between you and your new found friend? This is just amazing. In order to get this kind of comment, she must be someone great. Indeed, she is.

For her achievement, I guess I need not list much. She was a president scholar. I think just this, it's enough. I remember she made headline in the newspaper a few years ago, regarding her president scholarship or something. I cannot remember the exact content. But I do remember how she made many better changes to my secondary school. For instance, she had the entire hall air-conditioned, approved the wearing of running shoes, turning the canteen into a cafeteria etc etc. Her speech was ever inspiring and motivating. I have never enjoyed listening to the speech of a principal other than hers, even if it was about something trivial. Just compared her speech with the Mdm Sun (my sec principal) and Mickey Tan (JC principal), the latter two would just send me to lala land. She has the charisma. She has the look of a typical capable woman and she is pretty (for her age). She is poised and elegant and everything... Most importantly, she has a very high EQ. I guess that is why all the students like her so much.

"There is a winner in everyone of you." (Mrs Lim Lai Cheng, 2000)