Thursday, January 18, 2007

Primacy Effect.

I started to have a morbid feeling of my project group on the very first day and the very moment when we were grouped. Initially, we thought we could form a group of our own and hence my friends and I had decided to take the module together and to be in the same group. Much to our dismay, this tutor likes to assign group. Yes, and his rationale... he prefers group with interdisciplinary memebers rather than one which consists of all engine people for instance. I mean from his point of view, I could understand. But from a student's perspective, I can't agree with him. And indeed, he pointed out that problems could arise from having interdisciplinary members in the group, and that is timetable clashes resulting in odd timing for meetings. I'm glad he saw that major problem. However, he went on to say it could be overcome since technology is so advanced and that we could easily meet up on MSN. KNN! Imagine 5 people discussing on MSN. It is so difficult and that it is such a pain in the arse discussing serious stuff on MSN. I am freaking sure he has never had a project discussion on MSN before. Hence, he thought it was as simple as he said.

What's worse, I don't really like to work with foreign students. Those people who have worked with them before may probably know why. There is a blangadeshi in my group. I have nothing personal against his identity and I hope he proves my point wrong. He is supposed to send the contacts of everyone via email to us. One week has passed, there is no sign of his mail. I doubt he could prove me wrong. Yes, I must agree this could be a hasty generalisation but I just have this morbid feeling. I always believe the first impression is often an everlasting one and this primacy effect has taken me over for now.