Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The unheard story.

How sad it is to go through this festive season with 3 tests and a presentation in mind. I used to go visiting here and there but not this year. Not that I could sudy by staying at home. There will be people visiting every now and then. And then, I can't just coop up in the room, right? That would be rude. I don't feel the joyous occasion anymore. The ang pows no longer appeal to me, the goodies are mere heaty stuff which causes me to have ulcers and the relatives whom I knew are becoming more distant. The mood isn't right. Whatever.

If I really have to find something which appeals to me would be unheard stories of my family and relatives. They aren't gossip, I must make that clear. They are true stories. During the reunion dinner, we were talking about this kid who always roamed near my neighbour house and is not studying anymore. He should be at secondary one now. He comes to look for my neighbour's son almost everyday and he would just sit outside the house and try to play with her son. He became the suspected slippers thief as my neighbour told my mom about how he was caught red handed when he played with her slippers. To update, my mom found a pair of the slippers at the staircase landing but that one slipper is still missing. Anyway, my mom felt more pitiful for him rather than angry with him after hearing his tragic background in which he has a broken family. She even gave him an ang pow!

Anyway, when we talking about this kid to my auntie whom had joined us for reunion dinner, my dad was oblivious of the generation now. He said the kid has dropped out of school maybe because someone in school has bullied him and he could not take it so alas he dropped out of school. My brother and I went... "Please lah, now where got such thing. Now tell the teacher and the principal, that bully will drop out of school instead of the one being bullied."

I could understand why my dad made such a claim. He recalled why he dropped out of school. In those days, the kids always bully he and his siblings. The reason: Their mom mom was a cantonese although my grandpa was a hainanese. The rich hainanese kids joined forces to bully them. Don't ask me why for it makes no sense, I know. Yah, so, my dad had a terrible experience in school. One day, he was badly beaten by these bunch of kids. They pushed him into the wall and his back hurt so badly. He is still suffering from that injury till today. Unable to swallow that humiliation, he gathered all his friends one day. They confonted the biggest bully in the gang. They beat him up into pulp and he threw him into the 'big drain'. (Wah Sai! That was damn cool! I was so facsinated when I heard this part.) And he emphasized how badly he has beaten that guy using the hokkien term, "jia lat, jia lat". I asked if he died, he was unsure too. However, my dad did pay for what he did. Apparently, he was asked to see the principal with my ah gong and ah ma. He could not recall much of the content but he remember telling the principal in mandarin, "LJ, I don't want to study already." (Wee.... That was so cool. I should have told Mickey Tan the same thing last time when he refused to let me go on MC. Haha, just joking.) The principal was siding those bullies for they were from rich families. It made no sense to plead him. Consequently, he dropped out of school. And from then on, his siblings (my uncles and anutie) went on to study in peace. The bullies never dare to stir trouble for them anymore. My auntie testified my dad's recollection with "Ah nor... and jiu shi lor..."

My Lau Bei is so noble! But he did pay a high price for that. My uncles could not have completed their studies if not for him and they are obviously leading a more comfortable life now. Did he gain anything? *Shrug. I am not complaining for I am content with what I have now. I am just thinking if it is worth it. Maybe, my dad's notion is that something has to be done when people are stepping on your head. You can't just swallow your pride and be a pushover - That is a sign of weaklings. I don't know.