Jokes.
I’m so bored. I’m practically waiting for the knock off time. Sometimes, when you are a very free person, you get to observe and hear things which people have missed. They are not important stuff but stuff which you thought you could only find in the jokes session of a newspaper, like “just for laughter” or “laughter-the best medicine” that sort.
On that fateful day, I was backspacing, typing and backspacing on the same sentence in my report for the past 1 hour, and I nearly burst out laughing when I heard the conversation between two managers from the production and equipment department.
Prod manager: I need a equip engineer to help me repair this X machine. I called Engineer A and Engineer B but they said they have got something to do. My machine is down, I need someone.
Equip manager: machine down for what?
Prod manager stumbled and replied: Down means the machine not working.
That must be the funniest joke I heard that day. Surely, he knows down = not working. I don’t blame the prod engineer because the equip engineer always uses vague sentences when I talk to him. He actually means what are the causes for the breakdown. Fyi, he speaks fluent English, but just that he has the wrong usage of words at times, like he uses ‘irregardless’ so very often, and uses ‘generically’ like basically and his own creation of verbs… ‘I can pull out from my hard disk’. I thought I was bad enough. Well, I met a rival.
I saw NUS has this new module on professional communication which is supposed to teach people how to communicate properly in the working world. I feel like taking! But then maybe the next sem on a SU basis, because there is no exam and I bet I’m going to get any nice groupmates.