Sunday, July 01, 2007

Ugly. Gracious.

I was on a crowded bus going home last friday and I witnessed a quarrel between the bus driver and a passenger. The bus driver has his point but the passenger is not wrong either. Well, I am sitting on the fence, I know.

The bus was crowded like hell. The bus was filled right to the doorstep at the entrance. At the next stop, the bus driver still stopped for a throng of passengers to board. He shouted for people to move in so that those people could board the bus. It was pretty cramped already but he insisted that we moved in somemore. An ah pek was very annoyed and so he refused to move an inch. That was when the heat started.

Ah peh: boh whee liao lah. dee dee kio lang lip. (No space already. keep asking people to move in!)
Bus uncle: wu whee mah. li ai deng chu lang ba ai deng chu. whee gai kee nian. (got space what. you want to go home people also want to go home. care for yourself only!)
Ah peh: li wu ta chey boh. ji kei bus a sai zai ar ni juay lang nian, li gou ting. (You got study or not? this bus can only carry so many people, you still stop)
Bus uncle: lang ai kee, wo ang zuar a sai mai ting. (people want to board, how can I not stop?!)
Ah pek: ang zuar buay sai. ni mai kwee meng lang tio buay sai lip lah. (Why cannot?! You don't open the door people cannot board already wan)

And so the bus driver refused to carry on driving even after those passengers have squeezed in. He went on quaralling with the old man. A passenger(A) was pretty pissed and so he shouted to them, "Shut up, shut up. drive the bus!" Another passenger(B), a lady, pressed the bell and she wanted to alight and not get herself stuck in the bus because of the quarrel.

Then the ah pek said: kia lah kia lah. ni gee si lah. gee tiow lau lah. (move lah move lah! go and die lah. go jum down lah)

The old man kept cursing and swearing and the bus driver kept shouting to defend himself for a few stops then they finally stopped.

The bus driver was probably right that as a bus driver he has the responsiblity to ensure that everyone should not be deprived of the chance to board the bus just because some people do not move in. But then by quarreling and stopped driving, he was delaying everyone!

The uncle was probably right too when he said that the capacity of the bus was reached. But being a stubborn old man and not move in would be his wrong!

PassengerA did a right thing by asking them to SHUT UP!

Passenger B's act was a sign of weaklings. That was very selfish of her too. She just wanted to get out of the shit and as if her time was freaking precious, like ours was not. Got guts go and scold the driver and the old man lah. Give the pissed off face like she was the only one suffering. I felt more pissed looking at her than the quarrel.

Singaporeans still have a long way to go to be gracious. Ugly people.

Saying about ugly people, I met 2 ugly people today. (Not appearance lah)

Someone knocked into me just now. And guess what? He stared at me without any apology. I stared back at him. We were staring for at least 2 seconds. Bloody hell. Sibei du lan.

And then when I was going home, this primary school kid overtook me to board the bus. Never mind... I okay. He tried to overtake me a second time when we were about to alight at the same stop. He tried to overtake me using the empty seats beside where I was standing. I was grabbing onto the grap-hold on the seats. He was behind me and then he stepped into the space at the empty seats and he went,"excuse me". Sibei sibei du lan... I told him, "U WAIT!"And I confirmed I had those menancing eyes like as if I was going to eat him up. He obeyed and he sat down on the empty seats.

Lim bei so good to eat izzit? Lau hu bu fa hui, dang lim bei si bing mao. knn.